Saturday, August 12, 2006

Wireshark - a new name, but the software's the same

Last Thursday, I resigned from QA and with that resignation, I now feel I am now able to blog again. Horray! I'll be posting more deails about my next job during the coming week.

I was searching this morning and discovered that that well known Ethteral protocol analyser has changed its name to Wireshark. While the is new, the software is the same (and it continues to improve!).

Wireshark's powerful features make it a great tool for all serious network admins. I used earlier version in the development of my TCP/IP books. It's a great product all the more so since it's free to use. For more information about Wireshark, see the FAQ.

Wireshark was written by networking experts around the world, and is an example of the power of open source. It runs on Windows, Linux, UNIX, and other platforms. The latest version 0.99.2 was released in mid-July and contains a number of fixes plus new features. The updates also include a number of fixes to potential security issues. New features include improvements to the dissectors (protocol analyssers). This version also includes support for new protocls (e.g Bluetooth, Cisco WIDS, TiVo, etc) plus updatesto a large number of protocols.

You can download the latest windows version as well as full source code from the Wireshark site.

No comments: