Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Using the DSC Resource Kit – Hot Fixes may be needed

It's that time of year, and with some upcoming PowerShell classes to teach, I've been rebuilding my classroom lab environment. Turns out the client wants some DSC content, and accordingly loaded the latest build of the DSC Resource Kit. What a wonderful set of extensions – I love the speed at which these evolve.
But once I'd loaded the Resource Kit on the 'client' box, I was not able to see any of the new resources. I could see the modules containing the resources, but not the DSC Resources themselves:
image
But a quick question on both Spiceworks and PowerShell.org's forums and the answer was easy. My rebuild of the lab had installed the RTM version of Server 2012 R2. For the resources to become available, I had to install three specific hotfixes:
  • Windows8.1-KB2894179-x64.msu
  • Windows8.1-KB2894029-x64.msu
  • Windows8.1-KB2883200-x64.msu
You can get all three from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40749. OH – and be careful of the order you install them – read the KB article carefully!
del.icio.us Tags: ,

No comments: